Dr Farooq Khan is the Managing Partner of Modern Pain Consultants. He is Fellowship trained in Interventional Pain Management, with additional training in Anesthesiology and General Surgery, and maintains double board certifications. As a result of his comprehensive training, Dr Khan has developed a formidable skill set which he uses to treat patients in the office, the interventional procedure suite and the operating room. Due to his compassionate nature, Dr Khan is widely recognized for the quality of care he provides to each patient as well as the discerning manner in which he chooses to utilize interventional treatments.
Dr Khan focuses on each individual patient with the following criteria:
- Providing an UNBIASED assessment of pathology and/or injuries
- Formulating the BEST plan after review of treatment options
- Working with you and any intermediaries PROVIDE treatment
- Utilizing MULTIDISCIPLINARY strategies when possible
- Striving for OPTIMAL long term outcomes by setting goals
- Reevaluating, adjusting therapies and providing referrals for MAXIMUM benefit
Some of the conditions Dr Khan treats include: chronic pain, spinal pathologies of both the neck and lower back, vertebral compression fractures, cancer related pain complaints, complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS), persisting pain after surgery of the spine or joints, pain due to degenerative joint disease, painful diabetic peripheral neuropathy, shingles pain (post herpetic neuralgia) and pain due to neurological or musculoskeletal disorders.
Dr Khan completed his Interventional Pain Management training at some of the top institutions in the country. He sharpened his diagnostic and treatment skills at multiple programs including the Northwestern Medical Center Pain Program, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (RIC) Comprehensive Pain Management Program, the RUSH University Pain Center and even the Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago chronic pain treatment center. As a result of this wide scope of training, he is familiar with multimodal approaches to both acute and chronic pain issues—balancing the advantages and disadvantages of individual therapeutic options.
During his residency in Anesthesiology, Dr Khan presented original research at the very large Midwest Anesthesia Research Conference (MARC) every year of his training, and subsequently won FIRST place with EVERY presentation, year after year. Due to his leadership skills during this same residency, he was elected as the President of the Illinois Society of Anesthesiologists resident component by his peers where he strived to improve the quality of healthcare in Illinois, regarding such issues as access to treatment, patient safety and legislative reform.
Dr. Khan also served as the President of the American Society of Anesthesiologists resident component—an organization with over 50,000 members across the globe—with the aim to help physicians across the United States with issues such as clinical education, patient advocacy and future research.
Dr Khan has additional training in General Surgery and Burn Surgery, and was awarded the Sumner L Koch Award for Excellence during his grueling Burn Surgery Fellowship at the world renowned Trauma Unit at the John H. Stroger Jr Hospital of Cook County.
Furthermore, Dr Khan has been published numerous times within the specialty of pain management, with a focus on advancing the technical skills and clinical acumen of his peers. Currently, he is working with both Medtronic and Stryker medical companies on treating patients with the most advanced and low risk medical devices currently available, and teaching other physicians these techniques.
Dr Khan demonstrates technical skill beyond basic injections, and frequently performs procedures such as LASER guided disc decompression, LASER guided selective nerve root block, vertebral augmentation with balloon kyphoplasty, intrathecal medication delivery system placement and spinal cord stimulator implantation. He holds medical licenses in both Indiana and Illinois and has been accredited by, and maintains ACTIVE staff at FIVE hospitals in Illinois, in addition to his outpatient clinics.
Many patients, injured workers and accident victims are unfortunately unaware of more sophisticated treatment options that may be available, and continue to struggle with unacceptable amounts of pain or medication usage.
Since he has repeatedly seen these patients either inadequately treated or even over treated, Dr Khan has been offering his expertise to an increasing number of patients with work or accident related pain complaints. The goal of such treatment is to facilitate the recovery process while employing sensible techniques and maintaining realistic goals.
Dr Khan is a steadfast patient advocate, who places the welfare of his patients above all other concerns. Each patient is treated with a level of genuine compassion and respect that cannot be imitated. Dr Khan’s mission is to merge this level of empathy with his clinical and technical skills, in order to provide patients with the highest level of care possible.
If you or someone you know is struggling with pain issues, please encourage them to call Dr Khan at Modern Pain Consultants—because pain may be inevitable, but suffering is optional.
Dr. Khan accepts most private insurance and worker’s compensation with limited Medicare openings. Space is INCREASINGLY limited, so please call to book your appointment with Dr Khan today!
- RUSH University Medical Center, Chicago, IL, 2000-2004, Doctor of Medicine, M.D.
- University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, 1996-2000, English Language & Literature, B.S., Deans List/Graduated with Honors
- Board Certified Anesthesiology, April 2012
- Board Certified Pain Management, September 2014, 89th percentile
Honors & Awards
- AMITA Physician Value Award for Compassion at LaGrange / Hinsdale Hospitals, December 2015
- President of American Society of Anesthesiologists Resident Component, October 2009-2010
- First Place Winner, Midwest Anesthesia Conference, Spring 2010
- First Place Winner, Midwest Anesthesia Conference, Spring 2009
- Finalist, RUSH University Medical Center Surgical Society Resident Research Award, Spring 2009
- President-Elect of American Society of Anesthesiologists Resident Component, October 2008-2009
- President of Illinois Society of Anesthesiologists, Resident Section, Fall 2009-2010
- First Place Winner, Midwest Anesthesia Conference, Spring 2008
- Third Place, RUSH University Medical Center Surgical Society Resident Research Award, Spring 2009
- Sumner L. Koch Memorial Burn Fellowship Award for Excellence 2007